The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Software for laptop logging

deez

I can't get my palm to sync with my newer laptop with Vista, so I am looking for something that will allow me to use my laptop to log. Hopefully it is free.

click
You need a hardware serial port though. If your laptop doesn't have one, you need a good USB-to-serial converter, like Keyspan:
click

Nartanian

Is it a Clie? I might be able to help you if its that.

KGVR4

Keydiver, does your Keyspan cable work with EvoScan to diagnose 1g//vr4/obd1?

sleepyvr4

isn't there a serial to usb converter out there? thought I read that somewhere years ago. may be unstable.

???

Quoting KGVR4:
Keydiver, does your Keyspan cable work with EvoScan to diagnose 1g//vr4/obd1?

I have yet to try it, but I don't know why it wouldn't. I'll have to try it when I get home next week.

deez

For some reason I can't get the TMO on my laptop to work with my ECU. Its says the datalogger isn't working properly. I got the keyspan adaptor, I'm thinking it might be the kind of cable I have. Any thoughts on that?

belize1334

If the cable is hooked up properly things should go down like this...

When you open the logger program you should get a box that looks like this

Once you click Connect you'll either jump straight in and things will be gravy or you'll get this

At this point you have to make sure that the KeySpan adapter is set up for COM1,2,3,or 4. If it's 5 or above you're hosed cause that's not an options that you can select from the drop menu on the logger. Run the keyspan utility and set it up for one of those and then choose that same number. Now things should be gravy.

If you've done that and it still doesn't work then you're not connected properly. Either your cable is wrong or you don't have it plugged in to the port correctly.

Edit: The above assumes that you are using a USB-serial adapter and that it's the KeySpan 19-HS. Other USB-serial adapters have been found not to work adequately and may cause things not to work. If, on the other hand, you have a laptop that has a built in serial port, then you don't need the adapter. If it doesn't work under those circumstances you either have to reconfigure the computer so that the serial port is on COM1,2,3 or 4 ... or as mentioned your cable is either wrong or not plugged in correctly.

Last edited:

Quote:
make sure that the KeySpan adapter is set up for COM1,2,3,or 4

Oftentimes this is the problem. Being that TMOLogger is an older program, it only recognizes the old standard hardware serial ports 1-4. I think I had to force the adapter to COM1 on my laptop, even though the computer tried to tell me it wasn't available. I checked all the addresses and interupts, and there was no conflict, so I forced it and it worked fine.

dsmless

Jeff how do you force the com port to a 1-4 on my laptop the usb ports start at 6-10, please let me know

curtis

He'll have to kill you after he tells you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dsmless

still alive, I have like 8 lives left, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

belize1334

Did you run the setup utility for the serial-usb adapter? For mine I just had to go into the utility configuration and choose com1.

dsmless

well I rn the setup in the disk it came with, is that what your talking about?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned